That umpteenth beginning
23:10I
It seems that a two hour wander through a bookstore was the final catalyst for the ramblings (both verbal and physical) of my life here in Seoul to be put to paper.
Before we get any further, let me be clear that these posts do not come from someone with a writing niche - at least not in this form. My writing experience rests mostly in the history of English, literary theory, and Twitter takedowns of my sisters. #youbetterbelieve
But after more than a year of delaying, due to fear and laziness (honesty is the best policy eh), the little highlights of my day have pushed me to at least attempt a written account. The previous paragraph is my way of asking for forgiveness, preempting the over-wordy and truly amateur posts that will come.
So, today.
Today marks fifteen months in which I have been living and working in Seoul. I'm an English teacher at a public elementary school...ah, I see fellow Brits looking at me with "Don't you mean primary school?" on their lips. Americanisms are slowly infiltrating my speech patterns, but not to worry as I most definitely still sound like the Queen - at least, according to my friends when they try to reproduce my accent. I suppose that's better than my attempts at an American accent - which either comes out as a Valley girl, or as our beloved slack-jawed Cleetus from The Simpsons. More on the British accent in Korea later.
Tangent aside (and there will be many tangents in my writing, I'm afraid)... Prior to moving here, I'd never been outside of Europe. And although I come from an Asian background myself, culture shock is very much prevalent. This is also my first "real job"; and other than volunteering and coaching positions, my first time teaching children. One of many 'firsts' in my life here.
Moving from England to Korea is, without doubt, the biggest decision I've ever made in my life. And I want to document what has come from that decision.
In these fifteen months, I've learned and experienced so much - I'm still learning and experiencing so much. This is the second year working at my school, and the difference between my first day of the school term last year ('rabbit caught in the headlights' does not even begin to describe it) and my first day this year (MC Hammer's " U Can't Touch This" as an anthem springs to mind) is just a tiny testament to that.
My posts will likely range from personal diary-esque rants and rambles; information and insights about teaching abroad; over-excited fangirling about VIXX (동료 별빛들이~ 안녕!^^); my ongoing goal to conquer - or fail at - the Korean language; reviews on beauty products (#consumer); and simple snapshots of Korea.
I hope it'll all be somewhat coherent and entertaining.
To finish up: some days, things can take its toll. On those days, it's hard not to miss home, to question if I can really hack it out here, to not want to confine myself to my apartment and eat all the snacks I have (trust me, there's a lot) whilst crying during a Modern Family marathon.
It's on those days especially, that I take note of the little highlights of my day. The small things that are nothing to sing and dance over, but enough to put a smile on my face and remind me of why I choose to stay.
The little highlights of my day [150520]:
- The new science teacher continuing to make an effort to speak to me during lunch.It's hard for the Korean teachers (heck, most Koreans) to feel comfortable speaking to me, often because they're afraid to make a mistake in English. And they never believe me when I say that their English level is great, leaps and bounds beyond my Korean level - which it is. I don't initiate conversations myself, due to a combination of shyness/fear/anxiety that I'll either make a fool of myself or alienate them even more or both. It's not uncommon then, for me to spend the majority of my lunches eating in silence. Whilst I'm a lot more used to this now, it was inevitably a lonely start. So I'm always grateful to those who strike up a conversation first. Even if it's just to ask me who my favourite football team is. Ah yes England, David Beckham is our only saviour. Or at least, the only David I trust.
- One of the boys I was reprimanding, reaching forward to touch my arm and say, 'Teacher, I'm sorry".
I took the executive decision (i.e. I didn't run to my co-teacher for help because I always feel my skills are lacking) to keep behind a group of high level students, who are well-meaning but far too distracting to their classmates. I'd decided to do this in the first half of the lesson, and spent the second half of the lesson practicing the 'speech' I would give them with the hope that they wouldn't hate me afterwards, and therefore give up on English. This gesture from one of them and their genuine understanding of the situation reminds me that I can do, and am doing, well at my school.
- Reading a Korean children's storybook, and pretty much understanding all of it without a dictionary.
I've been learning Korean on-and-off for about a year now - more decidedly 'on' in the last six months - through self study and the help of some wonderfully patient friends. Vocabulary and speaking are the biggest struggles, coupled with a lack of confidence in wielding what I already know. As such, I mentally fist pump every time I'm able to understand full sentences without looking anything up. Plus, it was a really cute story about a cat hiding in a hat.
- In the evening, a student running to catch up with me to say hello out of school hours.
This will always be warming to me. Except maybe when I'm coming out from the gym a sweaty mess...or coming home from a night out a sweaty mess.
- A deaf Korean community, from all walks of life, seeing each other off after a night out.
- And apparently becoming a fully-fledged member of the firefighting team at my school - 'Emergency Team' division.
JH
0 comments